The Asian♦American Institute for Research & Education (ASIAM) held its Annual Board Meeting on Monday, March 18th. The meeting was hosted by board member, Mr. David B. Root, Jr., President of D.B. Root & Company.
The Board Members in attendance were:
- Seated (l-r)
- Richard Steadman, Founder, The Steadman Clinic, Vail, CO - a world renowned sports medicine surgeon, knee specialist and doctor for the US Ski Team
- Savio Woo, Distinguished University Professor, University of Pittsburgh, winner of the 1998 Olympic Gold Medal and IOC Olympic Prize for Sports Science and Founder and President of ASIAM Institute
- Pattie Woo, Co-Founder and Secretary of ASIAM Institute
- James Chow, Founder, Orthopaedic Research Foundation of Southern Illinois - inventor of arthroscopic carpel tunnel release
- Standing (l-r)
- Mahmut Nedim Doral, Head, Dept. of Sports Medicine, Hacettepe University Hospitals and President, Turkish Orthopaedic Association
- Montse Garcia Balletbo, Director, Regenerative Medicine Dept., Hospital Chiron Barcelona, Spain
- Marc Philippon, Director, Steadman Philippon Research Institute, Vail, CO - a world renowned hip arthroscopic surgeon - operated on numerous professional athletes including Mario Lemieux
- Greg Carlin, Patent Attorney, Meunier, Carlin & Curfman, LLC
- Ron Dieck, Founder and CEO, Tenaxis Medical, Palo Alto, CA - an inventor and very successful starter of small biotechnology companies
- Diann DeCenzo, Treasurer of ASIAM Institute
- Ramon Cugat, President, Garcia Cugat Foundation, Barcelona, Spain - world renowned knee surgeon and President of the medical council for the Catalan Soccer Delegation's Health Insurance Company under the Spanish Soccer Federation
During their annual meeting, ASIAM's board approved two major activities for 2013 -continued funding of the scholarship/fellowship program and co-sponsorship of two scientific meetings. With generous support from friends and members of the board, ASIAM is pleased to be able to support three research scholarships and one research fellowship totaling $30,000 in 2013. The scholarships and fellowship will provide funding for research experiences for undergraduate and graduate students and post-doctoral fellows.
In addition, ASIAM will sponsor approximately 75 young investigators to attend a world premier meeting, the International Symposium on Ligaments and Tendons (ISL&T) - XIII being held in Arezzo, Italy on October 18, 2013. ISL&T provides a forum to discuss state-of-the-art ligament and tendon research by bringing together some of the best minds in the field.
ASIAM will also co-sponsor the 6th World Association for Chinese Biomedical Engineers (WACBE) World Congress on Bioengineering in Beijing China on August 5-8, 2013. The purpose of this biannual gathering is to bring together Chinese professionals and students in the field of biomedical engineering from around the world, promote research in the field and establish a spirit of international cooperation in biomedical engineering.